For the past five weeks of school we have been "learning" and memorizing the states and capitals. So far we have learned the New England states, the Mid-Atlantic states, and the Southern states. In college, Chip and I (and Uncle Nick) had Economics together. Our teacher always gave extra credit on tests. It was always 5 questions. It was always the US states and capitals. I never really learned that in school apparently. And, during that whole semester, it never occured to me to study them and earn easy points on each test. Maybe knowledge of the the above scenario should have prepared me for the below conversation I had with Streed just this week, 5 weeks into school.
Me watching news.
Me: Streed come here and see this.
Me: Look, Harrisburg, PA is flooding.
Streed: Is that in America?
PAUSE
Me: (handled well) WHAT? WHAT HAVE WE BEEN STUDYING? THE US CAPITALS. THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. YES, ITS IN AMERICA.
1 comment:
And you were so using a teachable moment; he could see it on TV! GRRRR! Moma
Post a Comment