1.29.2007

It all makes sense

I now understand some phrases that always puzzled me in the past:
  1. Do you want me to spank you?
  2. I don't want to spank you but you are forcing me to.
  3. Stop crying or I'll spank you.
  4. This hurts me more than it does you.
  5. etc...

Everyday when I make these statments to my oh-so-two yr old, I understand now what my parents and the irrate parents at Wal-Mart meant by them. Streed really is a great child. Everyone thinks so. But, he has his moments. Like tonight when he spent at least an hour in his high chair because he would not even try a mandarin orange. Or a few weeks ago when he received multiple spankings because he wouldn't even try a bite of fish. He was crying, I was crying, but I had to win. The issue is obedience, not finishing his meal. We are not extremely strict nor do we demand he walk a straight line. However, we will consistently spank for disobedience and disrespect. We cannot let it go when he yells "no" and kicks his feet when he doesn't want to do something. He does not hate us. Quite the opposite really. It hurts his heart when he gets a spanking. He hugs us and kisses us and holds us tightly when he does wrong. Am I doing everything right? Not by any means. To love is to discipline. The bible tells me so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what a big fan I am of Streed, but even I have spanked the hand I think once. It sounds strange to say coming from me and in this day and time, but I'm so glad you are doing the spanking thing. So many parents don't and they are going to have very difficult times now as well as later. I'm so proud of you as parents!!! I love you all. G