It has happened again. We decided on Ella's name while in Brazil. We come home to find "Ella" being a very popular name. It even started popping up in Pottery Barn Kids. So, before naming Nathan, I check baby name websites and it was no where near the most popular. But, wouldn't you know I get my new PBK magazine this week and there it is, in bold letters...Nate! GEEZ! But, I am not too upset. We named Ella for a special reason as we did Nathan. So, it is fine. It was just funny to me. I guess Streed has nothing to worry about. Except the reality that he will have to repeat his name and explain that it is his mother's maiden name every time he introduces himself...for the rest of his life. And, it never fails, the response to his name is either 1. I like that OR 2. Interesting.
4.05.2008
Dang It
It has happened again. We decided on Ella's name while in Brazil. We come home to find "Ella" being a very popular name. It even started popping up in Pottery Barn Kids. So, before naming Nathan, I check baby name websites and it was no where near the most popular. But, wouldn't you know I get my new PBK magazine this week and there it is, in bold letters...Nate! GEEZ! But, I am not too upset. We named Ella for a special reason as we did Nathan. So, it is fine. It was just funny to me. I guess Streed has nothing to worry about. Except the reality that he will have to repeat his name and explain that it is his mother's maiden name every time he introduces himself...for the rest of his life. And, it never fails, the response to his name is either 1. I like that OR 2. Interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Do you see the bean bags with OWEN on them? I hear ya', sister. I was trying to get away from mainstream, too, but there's no getting away!
Yeh, but he is the one and only Big Nate Crooms. Ella is I'm sure the most beautiful Ella around and yes Streed will definitely have to spell his name. At least they won't call him Seven instead of Sven like they did your dad. Gran
shelley, i have just looked at your blog for the first time. and also the first time i've seen a picture of nate.. he is just adorable..just like your other two! you have a beautiful family. and i love the blog. i'm actually thinking of doing one, too... ughhh..the PEER PRESSURE! and i know exactly how you feel about the name popularity..same thing happened with Ava..now it's everywhere! hope yall are doing well. almost "pool time". yall will have to come swimming one day! emily ceravolo
We had picked James' name out pretty much on our honeymoon, long before we planned on actually having any kids. We went through several Bible names pairing it with his middle name, Gadsby, which he'll constantly have to explain "No, not the Great Gatsby! They got it from an old hymnal writer, William Gadsby." As for James, I was sitting in misery 9 months pregnant watching TV and trying to keep cool, when up pops the name James as the name used for some pregnancy/baby name search website on a cable TV commercial! Here I thought we were using a name that wasn't too popular, since I didn't know anyone but 30-something year old men with the names Jim and Jimmy. Now there have been two other James born into our church in the last 6 months, and at least 3 more at the YMCA baby nursery. Oh well! With the name Tally, I hoped to have something a little different. I understand your frustration! :)
I'm with you. We tried to give both of our boys unique names. In all honesty, out of my two boys, I thought I would hear Tristan most often. I hardly ever hear it. I, however, am drowning in Ashers! I picked his name when Tristan was a couple of months old (long before I knew for sure that I would have another boy). I knew not one single Asher before he was born. I have literally met at least 5 or 6 and have met LOTS of people who know 1-2 Ashers themselves. Frustrating! However, both of my boys have powerful meanings to their names, and that's what is most important. I'm just sad that when the teacher says, "Asher", more than one hand will probably go up. :)
Post a Comment