For two weeks before I got sick I was getting up every weekday morning at 5:30am to have some quiet time by myself and with the Lord. It looked different everyday. Some days I would read Valley of Vision, some days work on my 2 Timothy bible study for church, some days read Feminine Appeal and journal, sometimes memorize and mediate on scripture. It varied based on the need of the hour and when my kids decided to grace me with their presence. The first few days it was as if they heard me tiptoe down the carpeted hallway. I think the first day Nate literally woke up right after I sat in my little red chair and said, "Dear Lord". I then proceeded to ask God to make him go back to sleep. He did it!
So, after being sick for a week and then being lazy for another half a week I was really needing to re-enlist in my early morning routine. I was supposed to start yesterday but did not. Today was my opportunity to try again. It was a NEED. Just last night I was journaling about something that I do not feel at liberty to share about yet. All day yesterday I kept thinking I want to talk to (vent to) somebody besides Chip about this but I can't. It got worse as the day went on. I know this is vague but bear with me. As the situation further developed I really knew I could not talk to anyone but Chip AND the Lord. I had to stop and pray and journal my thoughts last night and look at scripture.
So this morning I got up read a Valley of Vision prayer and looked at my 2 Timothy study. I flipped through the previous week's lesson and came across where I wanted to work on self-control and having a gentle and quiet spirit this week. I was encouraged that the Lord was doing that in my life yesterday by causing me to be quiet and exhibit self-control by only talking to Him and Chip.
One of the questions in my study today had me turn to I Peter 1:6-9. It encouraged me greatly as it restated some of the very things I journaled last night. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen Him you love Him. Though you do not now see Him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (I Pet 1:6-9 ESV)
All I could do was praise Him and feel His peace after He met with me this morning. And all I could think was the hymn, I need Thee, O I need Thee; Every hour I need Thee! O Bless me now, my Saviour, I come to Thee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So encouraging. And awe inspiring that He would meet with us and know our every need. Thanks for the timely words. :)
And He is always listening. Moma
a description of some of my "attempts" at time with the Lord....i think that J&J have a radar. i can be as quiet as a mouse...look on the monitor and ensure they're still heavily sleeping...but the moment my bottom hits the recliner they're awake. it is CRAZY! but i wont give up. because that time, early in the morning, before the hustle and bustle...it's just the best. miss you shelley. praying for you in this 'season'. we will miss this one day. (i tell myself...over...and over!)
i'm inspired...the kids drag me out of bed a lot of morning asking for vitamins and milk. before i became a mommy, i used to run at 5am and have quiet time...thanks for your faithfulness and sharing what your learning. By the way, despite the cheezy title, Feminie Appeal kicked my butt!!! (in a good, convicting, transformative kinda way)
Post a Comment